KEMCO has developed a high-performance film and tape that innovatively reduces carbon emissions, for the first time in the industry. Films and functional adhesive tapes are core component materials widely used in smartphones, information technology (IT) devices, home appliances, automobiles, etc. As environmental, social and governance (ESG) management has become a global topic, KEMCO's eco-friendly products are attracting attention from several global companies.
KEMCO has managed to reduce carbon by innovating their manufacturing methods. Originally, functional adhesive tapes were made up of 20-30% adhesive materials and 70-80% organic solvents. After being coated, the organic solvent is removed by heating it at 150 degrees or higher and drying it. KEMCO differentiated itself by highly concentrating the adhesive material to 60%. The remaining 40% of the organic solvent was dried at a low temperature below 100 degrees to shorten the production time.
Low-temperature processes and shorter production times significantly reduce carbon emissions. The use of organic solvents is reduced, making it possible to reduce production costs.
It has also received an official certification related to carbon reduction. The Korea Testing Laboratory (KTL) has certified KEMCO for reducing carbon emissions by about 30% (ISO 14067, Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards). KEMCO also completed the carbon emission reduction and carbon credit value evaluation by the Korea Technology Finance Corporation.
The company has also completed registering for domestic patents for this technology. Currently, an international Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) application is being pursued.
The application scope of KEMCO's film and tape is also expanding. In the smartphone field, it is being applied to antenna fixing, waterproofing, heat dissipation, light blocking, and shockproof tape. For displays, it is used for fixing the organic light emitting diode (OLED) back panel and frame. In electric vehicles, it can be used for battery assembly and for fixing vehicle displays. Industrial films and high-performance tapes have a wide range of applications in the consumer goods sector, as well as in the courier label, food, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and clothing label markets.
Using its carbon reduction technology, KEMCO is expanding the application of parts and materials to various industrial fields. It is currently developing eco-friendly, biodegradable, resource-recyclable green tapes.
There are also active discussions on supply. KEMCO is discussing with global smartphone manufacturers and automakers for product development and supply.
Se-yoon Ko, CEO of KEMCO, said, "Carbon reduction technology is the result of converging innovative thinking and cutting-edge technology," furthermore, “We plan to establish ourselves as a leading global low-carbon emission company."
By staff reporter So-ra Park (firstname.lastname@example.org)